Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dirty Feet


That was the first thing I had to get over in India, as there is much construction at the ashram and well, shoes off wherever you go. So just add water and dusty feet translate to muddy dining areas, bathrooms you name it. Can you say, “relax with what is?” (or “cultural relativism” for my Soc 101 students?)

Meanwhile, another ashramite was challenged by tiny children scampering around the construction sites barefoot and guys running about on top of half-constructed buildings without harnesses (that’s her line of work back home).

Endlessly fascinating what we tune into, as I kept filing away images of the women in saris hammering rocks, carrying water jugs and planks on their heads at the construction sites. (Uh yes, vestiges of the caste system alive and well…and the admonishments not to feed dogs or give cookies to children… more on that this spring Soc 101 students…)

So back to the photo -- my shoes were trashed in short order. I didn’t think to bring a pair of Crocs, but that’s my advice, dear readers, next time you’re in India, bring Crocs. Wash n’ wear, unlike these Naots. Ah, I wasn’t fond of them anyway. But check it out, cool soles, eh?

1 comment:

  1. Karly,
    I do believe I'd fit right in with the no shoes thing. I love going barefoot. My feet are, well, you could say.... well nasty at times. No matter how much I scrub or file. So try not to divert your eyes to my feet during class. I will try and remember socks.
    On a more pleasing note. What an experience. Culture. I long to experience more of it. So happy for you taking that trip. See you in class.

    ReplyDelete